What and How SVLK
Whats is the SVLK?
Timber Legality Assurance System (SVLK) is a tracking system whose development was made by involving multi-stakeholders to assure the legality of sources from which timber being traded in Indonesia originates.
SVLK is also meant to encourage the implementation of the existing Government’s regulations related to trade and availability of legal timber in Indonesia.
Why the SVLK?
SVLK is developed and applied in Indonesia to assure that all timber products which are available and traded in Indonesia have convincing legality status. Consumers abroad also need not to be doubtful about the legality of timber from Indonesia. At the same time, forest management units need not to be worried about the legality of timber that they produce. With the SVLK in place, timber-based industries are convinced about the legality of the timber sources so it will be easier for them to assure the consumers abroad.
On what ground the SVLK is applied?
The SVLK springs from the Government’s commitment to fight illegal logging and illegal timber trade. Good forest governance toward sustainable forest management (SFM). Demands for timber legality guarantee in the form of ncertification from international market, particularly from the European Union, the United States, and Australia. The SVLK is a “national incentive” in anticipating the incresing demands for timber legality certification schemes from aborad, such as FSC and PEFC.
What advantages the SVLK brings?
- The SVLK helps develop an efficient and fair legality assurance tool as a part of efforts in curbing the illegal logging.
- The SVLK provides assurance to the market in the EU, USA, Australia, and other countries about the legality of timber and timber products all of which originate from legal sources.
- The SVLK improves governance of forest timber effectively.
- The SVLK is the only system in Indonesia in assuring timber legality.
- The SVLK helps shred high cost economy.
- The SVLK provides opportunity to skip due diligence which poses high cost economy.
What does the SVLK aim at?
- To develop a credible, efficient, and fair legality assurance tool as a part of efforts in finding a solition over problem of illegalvlogging.
- To improve forest governance in Indonesia and to enhance competitiveness of Indonesia’s timber products.
- To deter illegal logging and illegal timber trading.
- To elevate community’s welfare.
What are the SVLK‘s principles?
- A good forest governance.
- Transparency and credibility.
When did the SVLK begin effective?
The SVLK began in effect since 1 September 2009.
Who are the key players in the SVLK?
- The Ministry of Forestry that plays its part in producing regulations, development functions, legalizing the LP-PHPL or LV-LK, VLK information management unit.
- National Accreditation Committee, accrediting the LP-PHPL and LV-LK.
- LP-PHPL & LV-LK, monitoring the PHPL performance and/or making timber legality assurance based on systems and standards that the Government stipulates.
- Auditee (Managemen Unit), over concession holders or people’s forests that are subject to necessity to obtain PHPL Certificate (S-PHPL) or Timber Legality Certificate (S-LK).
- Independent Monitoring, civil communities either individual or legal organisation in Indonesia, with monitoring functions over forestry-related public services such as S-PHPL/S-LK.
What legal standings does the SVLK have?
- Law No.41 in 1999 on Forestry.
- Government Regulation No. 6 in 2007 jo. No.3 in 2008 on Forest Governance and Establishment of Forest Management Plans, and Forest Utilities.
- Minister of Foerstry’s Regulation No. 38/Menhut-II/2009 junto Permenhut P.68/Menhut-II/2011 junto Permenhut P.45/Menhut-II/2012, junto Permenhut P.42 /Menhut-II/2013 on Standards Guides to Assessment of Performance of Sustainable Production Forest and Timber Legality Assurance in Concession Holders or in People’s Forests.
- Regulation of Director general of Forestry Production Development No.P.8/VI-BPPHH/2012 on Guides to Assessment Implementation of Performence of Production Forest and Timber Legality Assurance.
Who should adopt the VLK?
- Concession holders of Timber Forest Utility (IUPHHK) in Natural Forests (HA/ Industry Plantation Forests (HTI), Ecological Rehabilitation (RE).
- Community forests, village forests, community plantation forests.
- Owners of community forests (people’s forests)
- Concession holders of Timber Utility (IPK)
- Concession Holders of Forest Primary Industry Enterprise (IUIPHHK) and Continued Industry (IUI Lanjutan) and Tanda Daftar Industri (TDI)
What is legal timber?
Timber is regarded legal its origin, harvesting permit, harvesting sistem and procedures, administration and transport documentation, processing, and trading or transfeering can be proved and completely comply with the existing regulations.
Who can perform the SVLK audit?
The SVLK audit is performed by Certification Body which has been certified by National Accreditation Committee (KAN), and with stipulation of Minister of Forestry’s Decree to be a Timber Legality Assurance Body (LV-LK)
Legality Standards of SVLK
In accordance with Regulation by Director General of Forestry Production Development Number P.8/VI-BPPHH/2012 on Standards and Guides to Assessment of Performance of Sustainable Production Forest Management and Timber Legality Assurance, the SVLK has eight timber legality standards, namely:
1. Timber legality assurance standards in state forests managed by concession holders and management permit holders
2. Timber legality assurance standards in state forests managed by community (HTR, HKm, HD)
3. Timber legality assurance standards in people’s forests
4. Timber legality assurance standards Timber legality assurance standards in IPK holders
5. Timber legality assurance standards in IUIPHHK and IUI holders
6. Timber legality assurance standards in TDI (Tanda Daftar Industri)
7. Timber legality assurance standards home industry and artisans
8. Timber legality assurance standards in TPT
Mandatory of voluntary?
SVLK is mandatorily adopted to improve efficiency of forest management and to maintain crediblity of Indonesiaâ€™s timber legality. In accordance with Ministry of Trade’s Regulation No 64 in 2012 that there 40 timber-based products and 16 of which since 1 January 2013 were obliged to obtain the SVLK Certificate, while the other 14 must follow suit by 1 Januari 2012. For management units which have obtained Chain of Custody/CoC, the SVLK Certificate remains mandatory.
What should be done in the SVLK implementation?
Activities in the SVLK implementation:
– Verification proposal
– Verification planning
– Verrification implementation
– Issuance of legality certificate and re-certification:
– Special Audit
How long a legality certificate is valid?
- VLK Certificate for holders of IUPHHK-HA/HT/RE/ management concesion holders, IUPHHK-HTR/HKM/HD/HTHR/IPK, IUIPHHK, IUI with investment over IDR 500,000,000 excluding land and buildings, and TPT is valid for three years since the date of its issuance and must perform a surveilance at least once in every 12 months.
- LK Certificate for IUI with investment up to IDR 500,000,000 excluding land and buildings, TDI, and home indusry/artisans and exporters is valid for 6 months since its issuance and must perform a surveilance at least once in every 24 months.
When the certification and re-certification processes are made?
- Re-certification is made before the due date of of the LK Certificate;
- For a collective S-LK ownership, verification of re-certification is made over the groupâ€™’s members who have been verified at the beginning and during inspection, where the number of the members remain the same, and are selected randomly.
- Registration of LK re-certification at least six months before the expiring date.
- Concession holders are subject to re-certification fees.
What is Surveillance?
- Surveillance is a controlling activity by auditor and is made annuallly and at least 12 months since the issuance of S-LK;
- When concesstion holders, management permit holders, or owners of people’s forests require surveilance ia made by LVLK (Timber Legality Verification Body) other than that that issues the S-LK, a verification should be performed from the beginning.
- Surveilance may result in some conclusions: continuation, freezing, or withdrawal of S-LK.
- In case of any change of the LK verification standards in LVLK surveilance must perform verification to check the compliance;
- In case of collective S-LK, surveliance is made in the group’s members that have not been verified during the beginning or earlier verification where the numbers remain the same as those during the earlier verification, and are selected randomly.
What is the V- Legal logo?
The V-Legal logo is stamped on timber, timber products, or the packaging, stating that the timber and the timber products have complied with the PHPL standards or VLK standards by proving the ownership of S-PHPL or S-LK.
The use of V-Legal logo is regulated in guides to the V-Legal usage.
What is the V-Legal Document?
License document of timber products for export applied for 48 HS Codes. The
Dokumen lisensi ekspor produk kayu yang berlaku untuk 48 HS-Code. The document is issued by the LVLK for every single, for ETPIK which has obtained S-LK or a necessity to perform an inspection for ETPIK which has not obtained the S-LK.
The V-Legal Document is valid for 4 months since its issuance.
Whas is legal timber?
Timber is legal when it complies with verification of its origin, permit, harvest, harvesting system and procedures, administration and transport documents, process, trading/ transferring, all of which fulfill the existing regulations.